The Clever Cynic: Goalsetting...Shoot for the MOON




I was thinking today about goals. Goals are a good thing...in a way, but all too often, they are limiting. In other words, most of the time we don't set lofty enough goals for ourselves. It is great to have a goal, like I want to be Vice President of the company...but why stop there? And why would you want to stop at being Vice President and not RUN the company? Why not OWN the company? Why not own most of North America? (oh wait, never mind, Donald Trump already did that.)

Sure it helps to have attainable goals but such goals limit us and once we achieve them we have to re-focus and raise the bar. Why not start off with the goal you really want? When I set out to create The Clever Cynic I stopped for a moment to think of a goal...I finally settled upon I will be happy when this website is the homepage of every computer in the world. Will I ever attain this goal....who knows? The odds are slim because there is probably some total freak out there that no matter what would refuse to set this as his homepage...just to be different. Is that wrong?.......of course;), but it doesn't deter me from having the goal...and I admire his courage to be different...but it doesn't diminish my goal in any way. Just like I have always felt like making up punctuation as I went along. It drove my English teachers NUTS....but they finally decided that it wasn't exactly WRONG either...it is actually quite readable.;)

So think big...live large and set any goal you want in life. The loftier it is the more of the minor goals (like being the most popular website in your country) will just breeze by along the way...but above all THINK BIG.

--The Clever Cynic, http://theclevercynic.blogspot.com/

E-mail: the_clever_cynic@yahoo.com

Recent Posts